Institute of Ethnology of the Czech Academy of Sciences
in cooperation with
Czech Association for Social Anthropology
Anthropology of Religion, Magic and Supernatural Network
European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism
The Central and Eastern European Network
CALL FOR PAPERS
for the 4th CEENASWE conference
OCCULTISM AND POLITICS IN EAST-CENTRAL EUROPE
27 – 29 September 2021
Focusing on the occultism and esotericism in East-Central Europe since the mid-nineteenth-century till now, we invite scholars to share their research which addresses the following topics:
- Tensions between or calls for nationalism and/or transnationalism in the occult and esoteric movements;
- Attitudes of various state bodies (republics, empires or totalitarian regimes) to occultism and esotericism, from suppression to support;
- Practising occultism or esotericism under socialist regimes;
- Case studies of influential movements, persons, or ideas either originating or being adopted in East-Central Europe;
- Critical reflection of the scholarship concerning occultism and esotericism in East-Central Europe.
We accept both individual papers (20min presentation + 10 mins for discussion) and panels of three scholars maximum (90mins altogether, open panel’s format: from standard closely-related papers presentation to a discussion table – negotiable with organisers).
Please, kindly submit your papers or panel via this LINK.
There is no registration fee; however, the limiting number of participants is between
20–25, hence, please, make sure your presentation is related to the CEE region and fits the general theme well.
- Keynote lecture by Associate Prof Dr Marco Pasi (University of Amsterdam)
- Conference dinner
- CEENASWE board meeting
- Magical Prague trip (after the conference on 30 September)
The conference will take place at the representative residence of the Czech Academy of Sciences – Vila Lanna in the centre of Prague.
We do hope that the pandemic situation will get better during the summer, and together with ongoing vaccination and covid passes, we will be able to meet in person in Prague. In case it will not be possible, the organizers would reserve their right to turn the conference into an online form. Let us keep our fingers crossed!
Dr Pavel Horák, Institute of Ethnology, Czech Academy of Sciences
Dr Karolina Maria Hess, Institute of Sociology, University of Silesia in Katowice
For general queries, please email us at email@example.com
You can download a PDF version of the CfP HERE.